Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Re-reading "The Silver Metal Lover"

...by Tanith Lee. Also re-reading "White Oleander" (vaguely similar), and an article in Eleven on someone named Janelle who has the same eclectic music tastes that I do. She put out an album a while back titled 'Metropolis: The Chase Suite' about a young android running around a futuristic city. Sounds like Silver, Jane and Clovis. Or an amalgamation. Astrid from "White Oleander" sounds like Jane. Since everyone reworks everything into something new these days, couldn't I go back to creative writing, and write a story reminiscent of "The Silver Metal Lover", "White Oleander", "Return to Witch Mountain" and Neil Gaiman's "Sandman: The Dream Hunters"? Neil Gaiman himself rewrites old fairy tales. For instance, 'Snow Glass Apples', with Bebe Neuwirth reading on a CD version, is a rewrite of Snow White that is positively wierd and creepy. Snow White is recast as an evil, nonhuman, vampiric type 'girl' who...well, you should hear it. Other stuff by him can be sweeter too...

My point is, I can write, fiction and poetry, I can sing, I can dance, I can paint and draw. In other words, I could be a writer, performance artist, painter, poet and yogi. I once almost made it to the finals in the National Poetry Slam. Just not streetwise enough in my writing and delivery. Too academic. That's what I was told. Back in the day...back in 2003, when the world was rockin' around me, only three decades old, I didn't fit the mold, so they broke me. Open like a rock shrimp shell, but maybe I can do it this time...what the hell?

No comments:

Post a Comment