Saturday, January 9, 2010

Phoenix Dan Cong oolong tea? Lei Zu?

The spiritual name I chose for myself: Phoenix Amira Lei, produces some interesting results upon googling. One is a female Hip-Hop vocalist in Raleigh, NC, and another is a website: www.tea-obsession.blogspot.com, which appears because of a post about a Chinese tribe called the Lei Zu, who lived on Phoenix mountain, and cultivated Phoenix Dan Cong oolong tea, a favorite of many dynastys, and also of this blogger and traditional Chinese tea shop owner in Los Angeles. Apparently, also, the Lei originally lived in Eastern Guang Dong province (where Phoenix mountain is located), but moved to the Fujian province after an earthquake during the Sui caused forest fires to destroy almost everything except maybe the top of Phoenix mountain.

Now, I'm not Chinese, but I learned to cook traditional Chinese food from the wife of my accupuncturist in Chicago, who helped me while recovering from mono, strep, and a debilitating bout of CFS in 2001- 2002. Quin Deng, as her name was then, allowed me to stay in her home, and fed me delicious green-onion pancakes with honey and oranges, rice soup, rice balls with veal, bitter melon, stir-fried eggplant and many dishes with tofu. Asian pears cooked with honey were also on the menu. Quin left to go back to Beijing one day and never came back. She didn't say so, but I knew she was leaving for good, and I refused to say goodbye. I've regretted it ever since. Her ex-husband sent me a letter less than a year ago, but I've never responded. I should have. I miss Quinn and her wonderful food, and have always felt a strong connection to China, as well as Japan and India.

I've spent most of my life denying my emotions, particularly grief, anger and sadness. I keep feeling drawn to do a Kundalini meditation for Emotional Balance, but am still doing this darned Moon Kriya, until Groundhog's Day, my mother's birthday. Maybe I'll start this other one then, also after 90 days of Bound?

No comments:

Post a Comment