Saturday, November 14, 2009

Day 12 and Ananda Tandava Sacred Dancing

This blog, on the surface, is about Bound Lotus. On a deeper level, it is about healing and growing: mySelf, the Earth, other people and other living beings. I talked to a friend last night who at first found Saul's techniques to be "a little too hippy-dippy", but decided to give it another go. For myself, a bumper sticker I saw sums it up best: "Tree-hugging, dirt-worshipper." Saul is teaching sacred movement from deep within the heart of India, and all shamanic traditions. A sensual, ecstatic movement. Not static. Circular. The circling movements I spontaneously do when perfrorming Aarti for Devi are the same. The same as traditional warm-ups for Thai massage. Shamans in Mongolia performing healings. Quakers quaking. "Shaking medecine" is ancient. It's not new. It's ancient. I'm doing it even in Bound Lotus now. I'm "bound", but bound to God and the Earth. As in Spanda, I'm still moving within the pose - breathing, wriggling a little as I settle deeper in. What began as torture, through acceptance has become bliss.

I found this quote last night in Tsultrim Allione's "Feeding Your Demons":

"Evil in the human psyche comes from a failure to bring together, to reconcile the pieces of our experience. When we embrace all that we are, even the evil, the evil is transformed. " - Andrew Bard Schmookler

I think of the poem from St. Suniti and the Dragon and also "Where the Wild Things Are" and the light and shade of Led Zeppelin. As far as music, Death Metal is too far one way, Sappy Pop the other. Evil comes about when we refuse to acknowledge the inevitability AND beauty of death. The grace in death, and the cycle to life again. Each day that I sit in Bound Lotus, I die a little into living more deeply. I honor pain in my body, go into it, be with it, literally hug myself into peacefulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment