Monday, June 28, 2010

Leaving Amarillo for 'The Hotel Tulsa'

I awoke from a long sleep and promptly did Bound, Chhe Kriya and Releasing Fear. After slathering myself with more coconut oil to ease the eczema and heat rash, I ate at Subway, and got on the road to sing Sadhana, the Divine Birth mantras and listen to Ashana! I had a lovely but long drive through Texas, past Oklahoma City, and landed outside Tulsa at a Days Inn from Hell. The lady behind the front desk was sweet, but her boss from India was wierd. And the minute they finished an overly lengthy process of checking me in, rain started heavily outside, making it an ordeal to empty the car. As the thunder and lightning crackled, and I painstakingly moved my luggage with three trips up the elevator, I felt a funky vibe in the hotel.

A huge number of club kids were there, reeking of dozens of kinds of perfume, and each one looked like a zombie on either coke, X, or heroin, or copious amounts of alcohol. They bitched that I didn't say hi, and because I had a disgusted look on my face...but they WERE disgusting to be around, and it was making me sick to my stomach. When I decided to leave, the manager took it personally and tried to block me from leaving. It was like The Hotel California!!!! I told him I'd just been in the mountains of New Mexico, camping, eating vegetarian food, and not being around a bunch of drug addicts and alcoholics, and it was too much. Culture shock. I pushed past him and left.

An hour later, I holed up at Joplin's Drury Inn, courtesy of the kindness of Liz at the front desk. It was Sweet Dreams...truly. Safe and sound away from the junkies and pimps. I felt like Dorothy clicking her spangly red pumps. Half-way home in the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment